Dr. Mauricio Herrera
Dr. Mauricio Herrera is an orthopaedic surgeon that specializes in Sports Medicine and Arthroscopic Surgery. He aims at getting patients and athletes, young and old, back to their active lifestyles.He specializes in treating all types of shoulder pain, hip and knee pain, as well as elbow and ankle sports-related injuries. He is also an integral part of the Miami Institute for Joint Reconstruction (www.miamiorthodoc.com), the largest Orthopaedic Group in Miami-Dade County.
His areas of expertise include:
- Hip Arthroscopy
- Arthroscopic Shoulder Rotator Cuff repair
- Arthroscopic Shoulder Instability Surgery
- Primary/Revision Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) Reconstruction, including Double Bundle ACL Reconstruction
- Primary/Revision Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL) Reconstruction
- Posterolateral Corner Reconstruction
- Multiple Ligament Knee Reconstructions
- Meniscus Transplantation and Repair
- Allograft Stem Cell Therapy
- Cartilage Replacement Procedures, OATS, Allograft Surgery, for cartilage defects
- Pediatric Sports-Related injuries (i.e., ACL injuries in Patients with Open Growth Plates)
- Sports-Related Elbow injuries
- Sports-Related Foot/Ankle injuries
Dr. Herrera’s medical training includes a Fellowship in Sports Medicine/Arthroscopic Surgery at the University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania under the direction of world- renowned orthopaedic surgeons, Dr.’s Freddie Fu, Christopher Harner, James Bradley, Mark Rodosky and Marc Philippon. There he was involved in the care of the NFL’s Pittsburgh Steelers and the University of Pittsburgh Panthers Football Team. He was also team physician for various local High Schools.
A native of New York City, he completed his orthopaedic surgery residency in New York City at Columbia University/Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, where he was Chief resident. There, his chairman was Dr. Louis Bigliani and chief of Sports Medicine/Shoulder surgery was Dr William Levine. He obtained his medical degree at the University of California at San Francisco. He graduated from New York University with a BS in Nutrition/Dietetics.
Dr. Herrera has published and presented his research at numerous local and national meetings on topics regarding arthroscopic and sports related injuries.
He is a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Arthroscopy Association of North America and the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine.
He is a Diplomate and is Board Certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons. He is also Board Certified in Sports Medicine by the ABOS. Dr. Herrera has privileges at Baptist Hospital, South Miami Hospital and Kendall Regional Medical Center in Miami, Florida.
Most of his surgeries are performed in a out patient facility. More complicated surgeries are performed at Baptist Hospital of Miami.
He is also fluent in Spanish.
To Know More about Dr. Mauricio Herrera Please Click Below links
- Board Certification - ABOS
- Post-Doctoral Training
- Professional Societies
- Appointments and Titles
- Honors and Awards
- Dedicated Research Experience
- Bibliography-Peer Reviewed Manuscripts
- Books and Chapters
- Scientific Presentations
- Poster Exhibits
- Education and Teaching
- Sports / Training Room Experience